|Function / usage:||
Geographic Information & Related Structures
Durham, County Durham, North East England, England, United Kingdom, Europe
|number of spans||14 (10)|
Construction of a previous bridge.
Reconstruction as the current bridge which has been modified many times in its history.
Two chapels are built at each end of the bridge. The chapel to the west has since been replaced by the House of Correction, parts of which can still be seen today, as can parts of St. Andrew's Chapel at the eastern end.
More repairs by Bishop Fox.
Of the original 14 arches, three arches destroyed in a great flood.
|1804 - 1805||
Width is doubled.
There was once a chapel at either end - the one dedicated to St James has gone, but the remains of St Andrew's Chapel, built between 1274 and 1283, survive (as a shop and restaurant).
The bridge is only used by pedestrians nowadays.
Currently there is no information available about persons or companies having participated in this project.
Relevant Web Sites
There currently are no relevant websites listed.
- The Bridges of Northumberland and Durham, United Kingdom (United Kingdom), ISBN 0902833138, 1975